Dr. Timothy Bunning
Dr. Timothy J. Bunning is the Chief Scientist of the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this position, he shares responsibility to define, advocate, and implement a strategic vision for the research and development activities within the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate. He works across AFRL, other Department of Defense entities, and with our academic and industrial partners to coordinate, leverage, and integrate materials and processing-centric efforts at all levels of technical and manufacturing readiness.
Dr. Bunning joined the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate in 1990 as a Ph.D. student. His research was funded through an Air Force Office of Scientific Research doctoral fellowship and conducted on-site within the directorate. After earning his doctorate and conducting post-doctoral studies at Cornell University, he spent six years as an on-site contractor before transitioning to civil service in 1998. Dr. Bunning has served many roles within the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate including in-house researcher, project engineer, research team leader, branch chief, division technical director, division chief, and mentor. He entered the scientific and professional cadre of senior executives in 2015.
Dr. Bunning is active in numerous technical communities. His research interests center on responsive optical, electro-optical, and photo-optical structured organic and hybrid materials, and approaches for utility in optical sensing, laser beam control, and filtering (modulation) applications. He has co-authored more than 260 refereed papers and over 120 proceedings, has edited several books, and holds 16 patents. Additionally, he has presented hundreds of invited presentations, colloquia, and seminars, and his team’s research efforts have been highlighted in many professional settings. He is active in numerous technical societies, is currently an adjunct professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Tech, and is on the editorial boards of several journals.
1992 Doctorate in Chemical Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs
2008 Air War College
1. 1992 – 1998, Visiting scientist/contractor, Air Force Materials Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. 1998 – 2007, Senior/Principal Materials Research Engineer, Hardened Materials Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. 2002 – 2007, Research Group Leader, Hardened Materials Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. 2005 – 2006, Acting Chief, Hardened Materials Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. 2007 – 2010, Division Technical Director, Survivability and Sensor Materials Division, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. 2011, Developmental Sabbatical, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
7. 2012 – 2015, Chief, Functional Materials Division, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 2015 – present, Chief Scientist, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
2001 Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer
2002 John H. Dillon Medal from the Division of Polymer Physics, American Physical Society
2004 Affiliate Society Council (Dayton) Outstanding Engineer and Scientist Award
2007 Fellow, American Physical Society
2007 Fellow, International Society for Optics and Photonics
2007 Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory
2011 62nd Arthur S. Flemming Award, Department of Defense
2010 John L. McLucas Basic Science Air Force Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Award
2013 Fellow, Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering, American Chemical Society
2013 Fellow, Optical Society of America
2013 American Chemical Society Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering Co-Operative Research Award
American Physical Society
Materials Research Society
American Chemical Society
Optical Society of America
Society of Optical Engineering
International Liquid Crystal Society