About the Meeting
Please join us for the International Symposium on High Power Laser Ablation and Directed Energy 4-7 April 2016 in Santa Fe, New Mexico!
Since 1998, the International High Power Laser Ablation Symposia have provided a unique forum for exchange of ideas on the physics and application of high power laser-materials interaction, including advances in relevant high power laser sources and problems of beam propagation and detection, in a collegial atmosphere. This will be our eleventh meeting. The HPLA series is one of the first scientific conferences to be organized around a broad physical phenomenon (laser ablation and its applications) rather than one narrow technology. HPLA treats advances in all related aspects from basic physics to applications.
Since 2002, the International Symposia on Beamed Energy Propulsion have brought together organizations and individuals interested in developing beamed-energy propulsion vehicles, engines, schemes and concepts into space transportation systems of the future. BEP includes microwave sources as well as lasers as drivers. These meetings offer an exceptional opportunity for researchers in the BEP field to present the current results of their studies.
In 2014, we combined HPLA and BEP with good success. In 2016, we intend to add more parallel sessions from the ultrashort pulse and solid state laser technology review meetings which have been organized in the past by DEPS, the Directed Energy Professional Society, and call the entire meeting HPLA/DE.
Aspects that will not change:
- Leading edge topics & presentations
- Event Production: Blue 52 Productions, Dayton OH Michelle Williams and her team will provide logistics and planning support.
- Experts from around the world
- Consistent symposia leadership – Chair, Dr. Claude Phipps, Photonic Associates, LLC, Santa Fe & event production by Blue52 Productions
- Great networking opportunities including a conference dinner with entertainment
- Long lunch breaks for unhurried discussions
- Location - the beautiful La Fonda Hotel, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
- A collegial atmosphere in which old friends and new friends can meet.
Past keynote speakers for HPLA and BEP have included such luminaries as Prof. Charles Townes, Prof. Yuri Raizer, Prof. Arthur Kantrowitz, Prof. Oleg Krokhin, Dr. Raymond Kidder, and Prof. Sadao Nakai.
We hope to see you in Santa Fe!
- Dr. Claude Phipps, HPLA/DE Chair
Comments From Previous Attendees
“We enjoyed the high scientific level of presentations, and we liked the hard discussions after the presentations. You have done your work very successfully. We believe that attendees are of the same opinion.”